(OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #24: I Am Prano.
This month’s Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the “Where the frack is my ship” blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?
I play a lot of RPGs, and as such I have been able to fully analyse who I am as a person by fragmenting my personality into different game characters and living through those situations. That said, EvE being such an immense sandbox, I was allowed to “gameify” a part of me that rarely sees the glow of my graphics card: My spirituality.
IRL, I am a very spiritual person. My faith is commonly known as Wicca, and stems from pre-christian fertility religions among other things. Some of us follow the old gods, some of us just look to the more common archetypes of nature. My coven, The Order of Scathach, is a Pagan Warrior order. Above all we strive for personal excellence, social rightness and spiritual clarity. One can certainly see these concepts and the search for them in my genesis story, Last Son of Prano. Gigaer’s story, the Minmatar ethos and the RPing ways of the Ushra’Khan allow me to explore my own spirituality against the backdrop of EvE’s dark future.
How does Gigaer compare to me? As with most of my characters, he represents an ideal of that part of me. A spiritual warrior on a quest. One who has spent a lifetime honing his skills for the sake of others. I guess he also touches on the part of me that drives my interest in law enforcement. I’ve never been able to RP a morally suspect character, and the closest I can get is playing a slightly renegade Shepperd in Mass Effect 2.
Understanding myself allows me to create Gigaer, and creating Gigaer allows me to gain futher insight into myself.
How do my RL skills, those intangible qualities, help me in EvE? I am a good team player and always interested in learning. I have a strong loyalty to my team as long as I feel we are doing the right thing morally. My actual PvP combat skills are still fledgling but once I get the basics down I am good at thinking outside the box and enjoying it greatly. I add great energy to comms and when I RP it is with much zeal and verve. As my experience and knowledge increase, so will my abilities geometrically as I add my own abilities to the data. Even nearly 3 years in and 50m+ SP, I am still green. I strive to always be the student. There is always something new to learn and apply myself to.
In EvE and out, I am a pretty nice person. Sometimes too nice and too quick to forgive. EvE is a good place for me to learn to shoot first and not bother with questions.
List of participants:
- EVE Blog Banter #24: Be, all that you can be, and so much more!
- BB24:RL + EVE = | A Mule In EvE
- Freebooted: BB 24: You Talking to Me?
- where the frack is my ship?: Blog Banter 24: Behind the keyboard
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #24: I Am Prano. « Prano’s Journey
- mikeazariah » Blog Archive » BB24 Who are you, who hoo woo hoo
- Drifting: The 24th EVE Blog Banter (January 2011 Edition) – Topic: EVE and Real Life
- Victoria Aut Mors » Blog Archive » Eve Blog Banter #24 – Where Eve Meets Real Life
- Who is more real?? « The Durzo Chronicles
- Captain Serenity: blog banter #24 – Personalities
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: EVE and Real Life (EVE Blog Banter #24)
- The 24th EVE Blog Banter – EVE and Real Life – The Phoenix Diaries
- » EvE Blog Banter #24: EVE and Real Life EvE Blasphemy
- Blog Banter 24: In Real Life « Yarrbear Tales
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Alt « the hydrostatic capsule
- Blog Banter #24 – Me « Roc’s Ramblings
- More to come….