(OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #16: Just Like The Very First Time.
The third Blog Banter of 2010 comes to us from ChainTrap of the Into the unknown with gun and camera EVE Blog. He asks us: “Eve University turns six years old on March 15th; six years spent helping the new pilots of New Eden gain experience and understanding in a supportive environment. Eve is clearly a complicated game, with a ton to learn, so much that you never stop learning. So, the question is; What do you wish that someone had taken the time to tell you when you were first starting out? Or what have you learned in the interim that you’d like to share with the wider Eve community?”
It’s been a few years now since I started roaming the spaceways. I’m learned a lot and met some wonderful people who took it upon themselves to give me the knowledge I needed to be successful. I could have joined EVE University to get a more formal upbringing, but the idea of joining the Ushra’Khan was far too alluring for a RPer like me.
That said, I sort of wish someone had taught me a few more varied basics.
How to use an R&D agent so that my wallet wasn’t always hurting. Those beginning days were filled with fear that I’d lose my ship in a mission and have to empty out my wallet to make a new one. If I had been working up my R&D agent standings back then, I wouldn’t be looking at grinding lvl.1s now.
How to scan and explore. Obviously these skills are so important that they’re part of the NPE and were the first to get an official YouTube training vid. I can only imagine how I could have used that knowledge back then.
How easy and profitable it was to salvage after a mission. Salvage-fit Catalyst? Yeah, I could have flown one of these two years ago instead of a few months ago. Again, major wallet issues could have been mitigated.
What would I like to pass on to future generations? Well I already am in the form of my little brother, who has been playing EVE for the past 3 months now and soaking up everything I can tell him. He’s already handled the loss of his first ship better than I did and we’ve lived through some corp drama together as well. I intend to keep him from making the same mistakes that I did. I don’t know if I could teach anyone anything truly useful that EVE University couldn’t. Except… Never underestimate an RPer. Our love and zeal for this game are of the highest order and it shows in the intangibles that we bring to our flying. Zealous I suppose would be the best way to describe it.
Short post, I know. To be honest there isn’t a lot a lowly mission-runner like me could teach someone wanting to be an indy or a pirate. I’m sure the other banters this month will be overloaded with usefulness. I could say have fun and keep it civil, but honestly that all comes down to what kind of gamer you are. Don’t be this guy… please.
List of Participants
- CrazyKinux: The Three Pillars of Wisdom
- The Elitist: Helping the new guy/gal
- Hands Off, My Loots: Nothing Needed
- Rantuket: Blog Banter 16
- EVE Opportunist: Nooby Cluey
- Into the Unknown With Gun and Camera: EVE University
- Zero Kelvin: We’re the young ones!
- I am Keith Neilson: Set Your Destination
- Prano’s Journey: Just Like the Very First Time
- A Merry Life and a Short One: No Seriously
- Yarrbear Tales: Nublet 101
- A Mule In EVE: If I only knew
- The Planet Risk Show: Dared to be Bold
- Diary of a Space Jockey: WTH did I get myself into?!
- EVOGANDA: Why?
- A Memoir From Space: 16th Blog Banter
- Death’s Sweetest Kiss: Who What When Where Why How??
- Freebooted: Beyond the Shortcuts
- Learning to Fly: Noobing
- Caldari Outcast: My First Blog Banter Post!
- Roc’s Ramblings: Financial Survival
- Diary of a Pod Pilot: Free Knowledge Inside
- Nullsec Carebear: I could’ve been less of an idiot
- Facepalm’s Ramblings: Something Smells Fishy
- Kirith Darkblade: Do you wish to know more?
- Autopilot Disabled: I’m still starting…
- Finders & Keepers: Relax
- Confounded Capsuleer: What have you got to loose?
- Clan Oriana: Sixteen
- Flashfresh: EVE Blog Banter #16
- Rettic’s The Chronofile: You Make EVE
- Diary of a Bored Spaceman: Past Imperfect
- Chocolate Heaven: Known Unknowns
- Victoria Aut Mors: Blog Banter #16
- Where the frack is my ship: If I knew then what I know now…